ROW80 – 2nd Round of 2019 – Goals
A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) is the writing challenge group that knows you have a life. It’s not the crazy sprint of a 50,000 word novel in 30 days that is NaNoWriMo. Instead, you get to set your own goals. I like that because I think goals should be personal. April is the start of round 2. I kinda fizzled out and didn’t do the check ins the last few weeks of round one. I see round two as a clean slate to begin again.
- Write 4000-6000 words of fiction for the week.
- 4000 word week acceptable in case of illness requiring me to take off of work OR if non-fiction work is especially high word count
- 5000 words should be a typical week
- 6000 word goal on weeks when non-fiction is especially low
- FanFiction counts as fiction for the purposes of this goal.
- Write a story for Flash Fiction Friday twice a month or 6 flash fiction pieces in 3 months. Old promts that I have not previously done are fair game for this goal.
- Write every day and write fiction specifically at least 5 days per week. FanFic is fiction.
- Complete first drafts of at least 2 short stories in the 5000-10000 word range in April. FanFic does not count in this one.
- Write 2 dog-blog posts per week (minimum total 1500 words)
- Write at least two paid non-fiction posts/articles/etc per week
- Diet – Mindful eating for at least 2 meals per day. Track calories for all food 5 days per week. I’m prone to reading while I’m eating so there’s often a disconnect. I just eat without really thinking about the food. This causes me to overeat. Mindful eating practices put the focus back on the food and the act of eating.
- Learning – Attend 2 WA webinars per month. These cover topics like SEO, internet marketing, social media skills, content creation, and site maintenance. Webinars are not my preferred way to get information. I like things in writing but I can make time for two a month. Updated information is valuable. Plus, I’m already paying for the membership so I might as well get the most out of it.
- Reading – Track my kindle and fanfiction reading time. It will be like the opposite of Book It in elementary school trying to earn pizzas. Instead of trying to fit in more minutes, I hope to eventually read less. I tend to use reading as escapeism and then I don’t get the writing done. I need to find a happy medium. The first step though is tracking. I use Toggl for most things so I don’t see any reason I can’t enter reading time in if I track it with a timer or something.
- ROW80 Check Ins – At least one check in each week for Sunday (or Monday if I’m running late). Wednesday is a bonus. Comment on 3-5 other ROW80 members’ check in blog posts each week.